Brig. Gen. Charles B. McDaniel is the Commander, NATO Airborne Early Warning and Control Force E-3A Component at Geilenkirchen AB, Germany. He leads an international military and civilian staff, representing 16 NATO nations which provide airborne early warning, command and control and battle management capability for the Alliance.
Prior to this assignment, he was the Vice Commander, 618th Air Operations Center, Tanker Airlift Control Center.
General McDaniel received his commission in 1991 from the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Tennessee. He served as a flight examiner in the KC-135 and has served in numerous supervisory and leadership positions throughout his career.
General McDaniel has commanded several units to include the 912th Air Refueling Squadron, Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota, the 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar and the 92nd Air Refueling Wing at Fairchild Air Force Base, Washington. He was also Vice Commander of the 18th Wing at Kadena Air Base, Japan.
In addition to his Command assignments, he has held various staff positions to include his selection as a National Defense Fellow, assigned to the Congressional Research Service in the Library of Congress, a joint assignment as Coalition Affairs Senior Analyst for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations and Low Intensity Conflict at the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia. His military education includes Air Command and Staff College, Air War College, and Joint and Combined Warfighting School JPME-II, Joint Forces Staff College. He holds a Master’s Degree in Aeronautical Science, Management and Operation Specialties from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida, as well as a Masters of Military Operational Arts and Sciences from Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
General McDaniel is a command pilot with more than 3,300 hours primarily on the KC- 135R/T, T-37, T-38 and C-12F.
1991 Bachelor of Arts in History, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
1997 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Masters of Aeronautical Science, Management and Operation Specialties, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Masters of Military Operational Arts and Sciences, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2009 National Defense Fellow, Congressional Research Service, Washington, D.C.
2011 Joint and Combined Warfighting School JPME-II, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2013 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
1. February 1992 - March 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. September 1993 – April 1998, KC-135R Copilot, Aircraft Commander, Life Support Officer and Training Flight Instructor Pilot, 99th Air Refueling Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
3. April 1998 – April 2002, KC-135R Combat Crew Training School, Central Flight Instructor Course Instructor Pilot and Evaluator, 55th Air Refueling Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. April 2001 – April 2002, Assistant Chief, Wing Flight Safety and KC-135 Flight Safety Officer, 97th Air Mobility Wing, Altus AFB, Okla.
5. April 2002 – July 2005, Regional Operations Director; Command and Control Directorate Executive Officer and Chief Executive Officer to the Commander, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. July 2005 – June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 2006 – June 2009, Director of Operations, 905th Air Refueling Squadron; Commander, 912th Air Refueling Squadron and Deputy Commander, 319th Operations Group, Grand Forks AFB, N.D. (October 2007- February 2008, Commander, 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Al Udeid AB,Qatar)
8. July 2009 – June 2010, National Defense Fellow, Congressional Research Service, Washington, D.C.
9. June 2010 – May 2012, Senior Analyst, Coalition Affairs, Office of the Secretary of Defense/Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations and Low Intensity Conflict, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. May 2012 – July 2014, Vice Wing Commander, 18th Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
11. July 2014 – August 2016, Commander, 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
12. August 2016 – July 2018, Vice Commander, 618th Air Operations Center (Tanker Airlift Control Center),Scott AFB, Ill.
13. July 2018 – Present, Commander, NATO Airborne Early Warning and Control Force E-3A Component,
Geilenkirchen AB, Germany.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 2010 – May 2012, Senior Analyst, Coalition Affairs, Office of the Secretary of Defense/Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations and Low Intensity Conflict, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a Lieutenant Colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,300
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135R/T, C-12F, T-1A, C-5A, C-17A, F-15D, MC-130H/P, E3B/C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 10, 1991
First Lieutenant Oct. 5, 1993
Captain Oct. 5, 1995
Major July 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel May 1, 2012
Brigadier General Dec. 1, 2017